- We have made two very successful trips to the Waukegan Historical Society. Head librarian Beverly Millard has been saving articles on the history and happenings of Waukegan and, more specifically, the Waukegan Harbor herself and was a great help. We also found a great deal of post cards, photos, maps, and drawings that are relevant to our project.
- We also had a great visit to the Lake County Discovery Museum thanks to the help of their archivist, Diana Dretske. She showed us a lithograph of Little Fort (Waukegan's original name) and a watercolor painting based off of the lithograph that were beautiful as well as many helpful postcards, other artists' sketches and maps.
- Yesterday we had an informative interview with Susie Schrieber, chair of the Waukegan Harbor Citizens Advisory Group (CAG)
- The picture I.D. document is nearly complete. We have located all but 18 of 69 photos
- We're looking forward to more interviews in the fall and we're excited about Nichols' upcoming lecture at Lake Forest College on October 27th
Saturday, May 28, 2011
Hello everyone! We have had an exciting and productive last week. Here is a taste of what's been going on and what is to come:
Tuesday, May 17, 2011
The project is really underway now! We are planning on visiting the Waukegan Historical Society this Friday. The transcribed notes are complete and we are ready to begin a crash course on interviewing so that we can revisit people Nichols mentions in "Lake Effect." Sebastian is currently working on creating a picture-to-name document which will make it easy to look up photographs of those Nichols mentions. Dr. Dohrmann has begun to create a table of contents for the notes and interviews we have and I have been working on the first draft of the biography of Nichols for the online archive. More updates to come.
Monday, May 9, 2011
Summer is here! We are ready to crack down on this project. Here is what we've been up to lately and what is coming up:
- We have finished an Excel spreadsheet that acts as a supplementary index to the book for names in the book that includes a quick description of who that person is.
- We are working to finish typing up the notes.
- A sparknotes-like document for the book has been created.
- We will be heading up to Waukegan sometime soon.