- We are almost done with the school year and are excited to crack down and focus more heavily on the project in the summer
- A simple GIS map has been made, thus far it only shows: Illinois, Lake Michigan, and where Waukegan is located
- We discussed trying to connect our project to the clean up project for Ravine 7
- We found information showing a connection between Lake Forest College and Johns-Manville
- Still in the process of recovering names to cross check and still only have two binders left to sift through
- Had a great interview with Nichols last week.
- An audio recording of the interview was created
- A typed transcript of the interview was also created
Tuesday, April 19, 2011
Wednesday, April 13, 2011
- I only have two more binders of materials to read through till I have completely familiarized myself with the materials
- The Nichols interview date is approaching quickly
- More quotes have been added to the "Notable Quotes" document
- After I have sifted through the materials my next step will be to look up names of people mentioned in the book and the names of people mentioned in her materials, cross check them, and then find out more about them and maybe find pictures of them
Monday, April 11, 2011
I am reading "Lake Effect" for the first time this week and really enjoying it. One aspect of Nichols' book that we discussed last Friday is the way in which she blends memoir and science together so well. I think this would be difficult to do but the book flows beautifully. My focus this week has been assembling the noteable quotes Sebastian mentioned and continuing to type the handwritten notes. I'm also really looking forward to interviewing Nichols this week and learning more about her.
Friday, April 8, 2011
- We discussed the first two chapters of the book.
- We also came up with the idea of making a document of notable quotes.
- We came up with questions to ask durring the coming interview with Nichols.
- We are keeping note of books that can be useful for the college to have in their collection.
- We also discussed doing a picture time-line, and to compare the beautiful Waukegan image as depicted by Ray Bradbury to the real images that make up what Waukegan truly looked like.
Wednesday, April 6, 2011
- All of the pictures have been scanned into the computer.
- Most of the material has been read through and are under a loose form of organization.
- We discussed doing a student symposium presentation for the 2011-2012 Symposium on the archiving process. We are not certain of whether or not this is going to happen because the event is so far in the future, but the idea is on our radar.
- I have been looking a great deal at GIS (Geographic Information System) information and am trying to set up a GIS map of Superfund sites along Lake Michigan. I have encountered some setbacks, but will continue to work on this map.